Did you read my post about finding my style earlier today? In the process of writing that, I was also working on getting one step closer to a lighter, more charming home!
When we bought this house, the dining room was a huge draw. With a fireplace, hardwood floors, and huge windows, it’s hard not to spend all our time in there. The centerpiece of this room, obviously is the table. It’s the biggest and probably first thing you see when you walk in the door. Ours was, well, not beautiful. It was a gift that I have been eternally grateful for, but it needed some love and attention.
(shudder) I hate orange.
I found this post about a faux planked table on Bless’er House and immediately decided I had to try it somewhere in our house. This table was the obvious choice. I’ve dreamed of having a real rustic farmhouse table, and perhaps will save up enough someday to make that happen, until then, I love that I could update this one for $46.00.
Yep, $46.00 dollars for paint and tools needed to completely transform the look of it, thus changing the look of the room.
This tutorial from Pretty Handy Girl proved to be very useful as well.
Here are the materials I used:
- Circular Saw
- Valspar Montepelier Ashlar Gray 539034 color sample
- Valspar Summer Sparrow 539031 color sample
- Valspar March Breeze 539052 color sample
- Valspar clear mixing glaze
- Dark Walnut Miniwax Stain
- 2 paint brushes
- ALLWAY TOOLS GT3 Wood Graining Kit (affiliate)
- A lot of paper towel
Now, while it was fairly easy to do, I must say this is a time stealing project. Lets just say it was a good thing we had some snow days. There are many steps that require waiting for paint to dry in between.
So, I started with measuring the width of the table (41.5 inches) and decided to do 7 board that are about 6 inches wide. They aren’t all perfectly measured out because I wanted it to look rustic (and I was doing all this with a baby on my hip and only 1 free hand).
Next I chalk lined the surface of the table to give a guide for cutting. Have you ever tried doing a chalk line on your own with one free hand? This took way longer than it should have.
Then it was time for my trusty ol’ circular saw to take the spotlight. I set the blade to the lowest it can go so there was only about 1/8 of an inch showing. Following the lines made with the chalk, the table top was scored to resemble planks. I’ll admit, I was a little scared to jump in and do this.
Just a few little mistakes, but not to shabby, if I do say so myself.
Then I painted the dark walnut stain in the cracks to give them some depth.
Wipe off the excess…
Ok, so now, since the table is such a glossy, smooth finish I sanded it down to roughen it up so the paint actually sticks.
Once it was sanded, the “base coat” was painted on. This was the “Montepelier Ashlar Gray” color (not mixed with any glaze). Looking back, I probably should have done a coat of primer, but I honestly just plumb forgot.
So, while that was drying I mixed the Summer Sparrow (darker color) with the glaze: 1 part paint to 3 parts glaze. If I were to do this again I’d only do 2 parts glaze. Also, the March Breeze (lighter color) got mixed with a 1:1 ratio with the glaze.
Now time for the fun stuff. Paint the dark glaze onto the table and LIGHTLY slide the wood grain tool down the “planks”, rocking back and forth to create knots and lines. I emphasize lightly because the first swipe I did scraped all the way down to the original table top. That was an annoying mistake to fix. The key to remember here is to brush along the length of the “wood” and don’t worry about full coverage with the paint.
Once you paint and wood grain a few planks, take a dry paint brush and just barely feather it to blend the colors a little.
Let that dry. I left it overnight. Now, it could be because we just got back from Gulf shores, but I’ve been crushing on the driftwood/whitewash look and really wanted to carry that over to this table. So, to do that, I took the lighter paint/glaze mixture and, after dabbing the brush on a paper towel, just barely tinted the table. Once I stroked some of the paint on, I also rubbed it with paper towel to make it more even and blended.
Since it’s the dining room table and sure to get a lot of use, I put a good layer of Polyurethane on it, especially in the grooves.
Ok, now get ready for a barrage of pictures, because I just couldn’t stop admiring it!
The legs are definitely next to go. I’m thinking white. We’ll see what happens 🙂
I’m so pleased with how it turned out. for the price of $46.00, it was WELL worth it.