Our budget for home decor is so minuscule it’s basically non-existent. While I definitely believe in the value of making a house a home through color, texture, and decor, I also believe this can be achieved without spending much money. In order to do this, I have to put some sweat equity into it and I’m also not going to be able to have high end, ultra modern pieces (so glad rustic, vintage, and shabby chic are “in” right now!), but I’m totally ok with that. I love looking around our home and having a good story about each of the pieces.
To better emphasize my point, I put together a round up of all the super cheap, big statement decor items in our house that cost little to no money for us.
This was made purely for the functionality of it. We needed somewhere to put things that we used daily.
- Pallet wood- free
- screws- free (we inherited them with the house)
I love setting this out on our dining room table with season appropriate decor.
- Pallet wood- Free
- Screws- Free (had on hand)
- Minwax stain- Free (had on hand)
Set these out on any surface and instantly bring color and charm! Love these!
- Jar- $0.10 at a garage sale
- Glue- $1.00
- Food coloring- Free (had on hand)
- Old Window- Free
- Scrapbook Paper- $4.00
- Paint- Free (had on hand)
- Pallet wood- Free
- Screws- Free (on hand)
- Stain- Free (had on hand)
Tree Stump Candle holder
- Tree stump- Free (well technically because it was part of our Christmas tree we paid $40.00 for it, but that doesn’t mean you can’t go out in the woods and find a free stump)
- Candle- $0.01 (this is hard to estimate, it came in a huge box full of candles for $5.00 at a garage sale)
- Pallets- free
- Screws- $6.00 (actually bought some this time!)
- Mason Jars- $0.10-$0.25
- Pallet board- Free
- Hose rings- $6.00 for 8
- Table- Free (given to us, but you can find tables like this at Goodwill or garage sales
- Paint and supplies- $35.00 total
- Spool- Free
- Screws- free
- Stain- free
- Pallet boards- free
- Ladder- free
- Spool head- free
- Stain- free (on hand)
- Paint- Free (left over from the faux plank table)
- Ladder- Free
*Bonus! Window Picture Frame
This is a bonus because I haven’t written a post on it yet. These old windows have made perfect picture frames for us ever since we were first married. I have rotated the pictures out as our family grows and changes and every time I step back and think how beautiful it is.
- Window- Free